NUBSA is an initiative of young scientists with an objective of promoting science and technology as a tool for development. It consists of students pursuing Biochemistry and related subjects at the University of Nairobi and the alumni of the same.
The association among other objectives strives to create necessary links among stakeholders of science through education and dissemination of scientific information especially to the underprivileged in the society fostering a science culture among its members and promoting social networks among them.
The association over the years has successfully undertaken various projects funded through its lean budget, the University sponsors and well-wishers and profits from projects.
Each part of every living being is biochemically connected.
Biochemistry is at the heart of life science. It is a fascinating, diverse and sprawling discipline; which makes it near impossible to pigeon-hole or define concisely. Many look upon biochemistry as a science that underpins and explains the essential processes of life, impacting on:
- Biotechnology and bioinformatics
- Cell biology and signalling
- Development and disease
- Energy and metabolism
- Molecular biology
- Plant biology
- Provide new ideas and experiments, essential for understanding how life works
- Support our understanding of health and disease
- Drive the discovery of new ways to use molecular systems and their biological functions
- Contribute essential innovative information to the technology revolution
- Work together as part of a team with chemists, physicists, healthcare professionals, government policy makers, engineers, zoologists, environmental scientists, sales and marketing managers, journalists and other professionals from a variety of different disciplines